The Fender line of electric guitars are no doubt one of the coolest looking and great sounding instruments in rock and roll history!
Just look at any major classic rock icon from Pink Floyd to Eric Clapton to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and you’ll see that signature Fender guitar body under their arm.
But unfortunately you’ll need a grand or better to blow on an authentic USA-made Stratocaster. There’s where Fender’s introductory line of Squier Affinity Strat guitars can come in valuable.
Originally introduced by Fender in the early 1980’s as a way to compete with lower priced Japanese-made guitars, Squier guitars have developed into a line-up of respectable and affordable instruments including the Affinity, Pro Tone, and Vista models.
Squier guitars have all the look and style of their big bother classic Stratocaster. But they’re available at a fraction of the cost. This is great for beginner guitarists who are just getting started but want to have the look of the real thing.
The Fender Squier Affinity Strat Electric Guitar
If you’re going to start anywhere with the Squier line, then I’d recommend starting off with Squier Affinity Series.
As I mentioned above, the Fender Squier Strat Affinity has all the same vintage attitude as the Stratocaster but at a fraction of the cost. It features:
- Solid alder body with gloss polyurethane finish
- Maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard and 21 medium jumbo frets
- 3 Single-Coil Pickups
- Synchronous Tremolo Bridge
- Master volume with 2 tone controls with 5 position pickup selector switch
For the price, this guitar plays really smooth and clean. It has a bright tone and sounds really clean when played directly through the amplifier. Despite being an introductory model, it has the same feel and play ability to it as the more expensive Fender line of electric guitars.
Though this guitar has a good clean sound, you probably shouldn’t expect to use it for heavy metal or anything similar to that. You’ll find that the Fender Squier Strat Affinity sounds the best when used for classic rock, alternative/indie, blues, or jazz genres.
Bundle Package Extras!
This is what I love about buying guitars from Amazon!
For just a few bucks more than the price of the guitar alone Amazon has a terrific bundle set called the Fender Squier Affinity Strat “Stop Dreaming, Start Playing” package.
If you’re just starting out, this set is especially perfect for you. It includes:
- The Squier Strat electric guitar with a black and brown sunburst design (just like all the guitarists from the 1970’s used to play)
- A Squier SP-10 Amp. This little 10 watt amplifier is compact and light – and that’s perfect for playing in your home or taking it with you to practice with friends.
- An electric guitar tuner to keep your guitar sounding perfect.
- An instructional DVD to help teach you some cool tricks and riffs
- A gig bag to protect your guitar from dust and the weather when you take it outside
- A cable to plug in your Squier into the amp
- A guitar strap to hold your guitar around your neck
- Picks for playing your electric guitar
Honestly for the price, you’re going to have a really hard time finding an electric guitar package that is better than this or offers a similar quality product.
I would have loved to have had something like this available when I was first getting started on my guitar playing. I remember having to spend +$200 for just the guitar and then another +$200 for the amp! With the Squier Affinity Strat bundle package, you’re getting more than that at half the price. Plus since it comes from Amazon, it ships right to your door for free. You can’t beat that!